I have no experience with code or game design... where is the best place to start?

Started by
3 comments, last by kumarjyoti7 2 years, 1 month ago

Not sure if this will warrant any response, but I'll throw out a line and see what happens. Quick rundown, I'm in my 30's, I've always had great creativity and a passion for video games. I've always wanted to start making games, but always doubted my ability to do so. At a point now where I'm saying “eff it, I've got to start somewhere.” And I have a drive to learn that wasn't there before. Only problem is, I have no idea where to start. I'm hoping the community could point me in the right direction in terms of resources I could use. (With all of the coding websites with subscriptions and what-not, I'm not sure what is worth it and what's not) any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

What is it you want to do? If you want to design a game, just do it. If you want to make a game, what type of game do you want to make? Electronic? Card? Board? Activity? If you want to make an electronic game (web, PC, mobile…) then start here: https://www.gamedev.net/start/

Since this does not seem to be a game design question, this thread is now moved to the For Beginners forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thank you brother, I wasn't sure where to post this but I appreciate you putting it in the correct area. I'm looking to make electronic games. I'm going to skim over the link you sent while I'm at work and start getting into the meat and potatoes when I'm off. May I ask how long have you been making games?

@mcribblit5240

First off, I would do some research on your own. Think of it like you are trying to convince yourself to lend yourself money to make a plan. So i would do a brainstorm session, find other games that you like the art style and game mechanics for.

Then, I would look at those games and see what type of coding language, engines and so forth they used to accomplish their task.

Unfortunately, I do not know your skill set. I personally knew how to draw but had no coding experience. So I am learning to code. You know the best place to start? Youtube!!! there is so many programming tutorials to get you started. This will get you a good feel for what you want to learn more of. If you are not burned out after that, you might want to look at additional classes or books to continue your details.

Good Luck! I am in the same boat and it's been invigorating to create something from scratch. (Started only a few months ago ?)

Thread locked. Please don't necro.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement